Spring is just around the corner and the season may have inspired you to Marie Kondo your home. Cleaning up and getting rid of things you no longer need is a noble but hefty task. Check out our tips to make sure you’re taking care of your body while your taking care of your home.
- Maintain a neutral spine when vacuuming, raking or doing similar activities. Avoid twisting or bending too much so you don’t strain your back.
- Don’t perform repetitive motions for long periods of time. Too much of the same motion can lead to strains, stiffness and soreness. Try doing a different task every hour.
- Use a step stool or ladder when cleaning windows or painting high areas. Reaching overhead for long periods of time can lead to pain in the neck and shoulders
- Wear slip resistant shoes when cleaning floors to avoid falls
- When lifting boxes and heavy objects, always lift with your legs. Squat down to pick up the object instead of bending your back.
- Stay hydrated! Especially if you’re gardening, mowing the lawn or doing other outdoor activities.
If you do injure yourself while cleaning, see a physical therapist if the pain does not subside within a few days. Don’t let an injury ruin your spring!
1331 H St NW #200,
Washington, DC 20005
9560 Pennsylvania Ave. # 202,
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Capitol Physical Therapy offers orthopedic and other pain related solutions, with our versitile team of physical therapists in Washington, DC